Even though they make our yards and homes look nice, many common plants are dangerous for our favorite furry friends. Cats and dogs are quite curious, but when pets go out of the way to explore dangerous plants, their curious nature can become deadly. If your pet has ingested a toxic plant, you should take them to a Madison veterinary hospital. Here are a few of the most poisonous plants for cats and dogs.
The oleander is a popular outdoor shrub. Its leaves and flowers are very toxic and can cause severe health issues if ingested.
If you pet consumes lily of the valley, they should be examined by a vet as soon as possible. Lily of the valley can cause vomiting, diarrhea, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and potentially seizures.
Azaleas have very serious effects on pets. Beyond vomiting, drooling, and diarrhea, your pet could fall into a coma without immediate attention from a professional vet.
Despite their pretty appearance, certain parts of the tulip plant can cause big problems for pets. The toxic portion of this plant is concentrated in the bulb, so dogs prone to digging may be at risk for the plant's serious side effects. Changes in heart rate and respiration have been seen, so make sure to see a vet if you suspect your pet has ingested a tulip.
The tropical appearance of the sago palm makes it very popular in warm climates, but this plant can cause severe gastrointestinal issues in pets. Vomiting, bloody stools, liver failure, and even death are possible.
If you aren't sure if the plant your pet ingested is causing issues, make sure to contact your local animal wellness center. You need to be sure that your pets are having right food.